Monday, September 22, 2008

Delivery #18 - September 26, 2008

Hello farm friends,

Gosh it is cold out there in the mornings! Growth is slowing down but the plants look happy. This is the start of my September farm week so I have time to think, prep the garden for next year and make tunnels to cover some of the beds. It will be interesting to see how the vegetables respond to just a little more warmth. I hope to keep the mesclun and leaf lettuce growing for a while yet and there are young beets and rutabagas and daikon radishes out there that I hope will become full grown.

I have also planted 3 beds with extra hardy greens for the winter. (Now to build hoop house over them.) This is a total experiment. The books say I might be picking kale, cress, arugula, and corn salad in January and February. I hope it's true. The greenhouse still has ripening peppers, tomatoes and black eyed peas. We'll see how long they last into the fall. Later I will be planting the very earliest of greens for 2009 in there.

I hope to continue the shares through October but Mother Nature may have something to say about my plans. The shares will be getting smaller each week. The squash and cukes seem to be done now, for instance. But the kale and mesclun are fine and there are still occasional new items like the kolrabi and endive this week. Thank you for being patient as I learn about extending the seasons. Next year at this time there should be winter squash, turnips, eggplant and potatoes and a lot more carrots, beets and tomatoes, at least that is my plan.

COMING THIS WEEK

mesclun
kale
broadleaf endive
beans
a few tomatoes?
Asian onions
kolrabi
BOUQUET

Have a great first week of fall,
Laura

No comments: