Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Delivery #16 - September 12, 2008

GARDEN NEWS

Hi gang,

I hope you haven't been feeling overwhelmed by the large size of your shares the past two weeks. Harvest time is a busy time. Whenever I look at the amount of apples on the Baldwin apple I am amazed. And the Red Astrachan has been so generous with its fruit this year. I just froze 13 quarts of applesauce yesterday and there are still apples in the tree! The Baldwin will be ready later and is more of a storage apple so some can go in the basement for later. It is just a bountiful year for tree fruits.

We are at the time of year when each week I look to see if there are any more new items coming in. At some point the harvest will consist only of items we have already been eating but for now there are still new things to look forward to. This week you'll be getting some Cannellini beans, a tasty type of fresh shell bean. You can substitute them for any recipe that calls for dried white beans or dried Cannellini beans. Look to Italian and Greek cooking for ideas.

My pear tree has started making drops so there should be some of them too.

I am still trying to plant a few more things for overwintering and winter. I have some special carrot seeds that are supposed to be good for planting now. Mostly I am fitting the gardening in between the harvesting and putting up of fruit and vegetables and my other work of course. It's a challenge but I love doing it.

COMING THIS WEEK

Cannellino beans
mesclun
kale
Swiss chard
carrots
squash? These seem to be slowing down a bit...
cucumbers
beans
a few cherry tomatoes
Asian onions and red onions
perhaps a few pears
BOUQUET


Laura
http://lastingimpressionscsa.blogspot.com/

No comments: