Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Delivery #17 - September 19, 2008

GARDEN NEWS

It's definitely fallish out there. I can see orange and yellow on the trees and the pumpkins are turning orange. All the vegetables seem to grow more slowly this time of year. The squash family items are slowing down day by day. Even so, I am still planting! This past weekend I transplanted some kale seedlings (75 feet worth) for some late fall/winter greens. I also fertilized and dug a bed to plant carrots that are supposed to start now and be ready early next spring. I still need to plant the super hardy items for the winter harvest - claytonia, arugula, corn salad, etc. This is all new to me.

This is also a time for thinking and planning. While we pick and prep the shares, Karen talk about our favorite vegetables and flowers and recipes and think about what has grown well, what problems need to be addressed and what items are either missing or in short supply or are SO GOOD we want more! I welcome your ideas on this too, especially now as I work on my plans for next year.

On my "plant more" list:
garlic, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, NZ spinach, white turnips, carrots, beets, onions, head lettuce, peaches, raspberries, soybeans, zinnias...(okay I need to stop here.)
What do you want in the shares? What have been your favorites?

COMING THIS WEEK

Cannellino beans
mesclun
turnip greens
endive
Swiss chard
beets
squash? These seem to be slowing down a bit...
cucumbers? ditto
beans
a few tomatoes?
red onions
apple drops for those who would like some - LET ME KNOW if you do.
BOUQUET


Laura

No comments: