Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Delivery #8 - July 18, 2008

I am amazed to think that this is Delivery #8! The summer seems to be flying by. Deliveries are going so smoothly that they have begun to feel like my normal routine. Karen and I have worked on our system of harvesting and prepping so it's a bit less confusing. For the next month my work schedule is such that Fridays will be less of a hussle so that's nice too. It also means that I may be delivering late morning to noon instead of at least aiming for earlier. Please let me know if that doesn't work for you.

COMING THIS WEEK

mesclun
a mix of kale and turnip greens
summer squash or zucchini - these look really close
red turnips and their tops
red currants?
raspberries?
snow peas?
The delivery feels a bit smaller than usual but then again, if the squashes, currants and raspberries are plentiful it will feel big. Soon there will be carrots, beets and red onions. I must be patient.

bouquet - Yarrow, Sweet Peas, Veronica, Gypsophilia, Rubeckia, Dianthus, Shapdragons, Agrostemma, Lilies, Calendula, Centaurea, Delphineum, Cosmos, Zinnias, Dahlias? ETC!

GARDEN NEWS
This morning the garden is quiet and peaceful. The day is still cool and I can hear green frogs and birds. It feels like the restful sanctuary I need.

I keep poking into the soil to check the carrots and they still look tiny but orange. The pole beans are blooming and the baby squash are so cute. How can the weeds grow so fast and yet I wait and wait for certain things? How can there be so much planted and yet I feel so behind?

Of late I have been concentrating on weeding and pulling out plants that have bolted and the next step will be to plant and plant and plant. It's time for continued plantings of mesclun, lettuce and greens and for the first plantings of some of the fall items. Learning to plant for the fall, winter and spring while making use of the greenhouse is a whole new gardening arena for me. Naturally I have high hopes for harvest through the fall and winter and for extra early vegetables in the spring. I love that having the CSA means learning. I am amazed at how much I want to do and to learn. For instance, next spring I plan on planting black currants, quince, pears, plums, asparagus, strawberries and blueberries, as well as a giant (to me) cutting garden. I seem to have boundless enthusiasm. Thanks for your support and appreciations.

Laura
lastingimpressionscsa.blogspot.com/

No comments: