Friday, July 4, 2008

Delivery #6 - Friday, July 4, 2008

COMING THIS WEEK
(emailed on Wednesday morning)

mesclun - now includes chickweed, purslane, nasturium flowers, borage blossoms and shungiku flowers. Shungiku is an edible chrysanthemum from the folks at Baker Creek. They describe it as "Delicious green leaves are great in salads and stir-fries. The brilliant yellow flowers are also tasty! A beautiful Oriental heirloom, very colorful."
2 heads of lettuce - Crisp Mint, Reine d'Glaces, Forellenschluss, Four Seasons
snowpeas
shelling peas?
tarragon
Swiss chard/Turnip greens/Collards
bouquet - Yarrow, Sweet Peas, Veronica, Gypsophilia (Baby's Breath), Rubeckia, Dianthus, Shapdragons, Lady's Mantle, Centaurea, etc.


GARDEN NEWS
Hot, sunny, and humid today in the garden. It's nice to see the sun for a change. It helps me get a good look at all the weeds! The bee balm has reached shoulder height. I am feeling way behind on my planting but I suppose that makes sense since it's been so rainy lately. Things look good and lush. So far the woodchuck has only damaged the slicing cukes but I believe they will recover.

One exciting bit of farm news is that yesterday I made my first wholesale sale. Greenfields Market bought 5 pounds of mesclun! Late in the day I stopped in the store and got to see it packed up and on the shelf with my name on the label! Thrilling. This might mean that the shares will have less mesclun this Friday. It's an experiment but one worth doing as there is so much mesclun in the garden right now. Also, it's a good week to try it out since the head lettuce is thriving and plentiful so there will be no shortage of salad greens for the shares.

Sorry to be a bit late on this email. I had car trouble on Monday. All better now but I am behind on my week.

See you Friday perhaps.
Happy summer and July 4.
Laura
lastingimpressionscsa.blogspot.com/

No comments: