Monday, July 28, 2008

Delivery #10 - August 1, 2008

Hello farm members,

GARDEN NEWS

Everything is growing and growing, including the weeds, of course. It seems like the only way to beat the weeds is to clear an area and then IMMEDIATELY throw on some mulch. Otherwise the rain comes along and the the next time I look the weeds are already getting big. We are so lucky to have enough water. I am looking forward to some sunshine this week. Maybe I'll even weed the flowers...

The night blooming cereus has not bloomed yet. Keep your fingers crossed. To see a picture of the bud, check the farm blog. The snapdragons are back in bud, the pink lisianthus and crocosmia has started blooming and the dahlias are producing. The cucumbers are running and in bloom. Happily, the slicing cukes (planted first) have come back after being eaten by woodchucks and the woodchucks seem to have moved away. The leaves of the pumpkins are tremendous! The baby chicks are in the garage and seem happy to have more room. They seem more like chickens now too. They tuck their heads back to sleep and sleep at night instead of napping around the clock. They scratch at their greens and love to run around and flap their wings, especially if it includes chasing a chick with something interesting (ie anything) in its mouth.

I really am such a beginner at this farming business. Although I have gardened for years, the whole process of producing food in quantity and continuously is a challenge, especially doing it part time. You all are wonderful to allow me to learn about farming while providing food and flowers for all of us. Thank you for your patience. I wish I had lots of lettuce and mesclun for you but for a little while there will only be small quantities of mesclun, with no lettuce in the mix. If the mesclun is too intense for you with no lettuce, use it for stir fry. Karen and I planted lots of leaf lettuce and mesclun on Saturday but it will take awhile to be big enough to pick. As always, the CSA shares get priority over the farm stand.

I still dream big. Looking at the peaches and baby chicks this morning I was imagining future shares that will include lots of fresh fruit and eggs, and last from early spring to late fall, with an option of items to store or can...
This whole project makes me very happy.

Remember to check the blog for details about what's in your share each week and perhaps, recipes.
Oh yes! Speaking of recipes, please do send me your favorite vegetable recipes and I will post them at the blog. Thanks!
http://lastingimpressionscsa.blogspot.com/

THIS WEEK'S DELIVERY
raspberries (assuming they last)
mesclun (a bit)
chard
summer squashes
mixed greens - kale, collards, turnips
baby carrots?
beans
red onions
scallions
bouquet

Laura

No comments: