Tuesday, June 30, 2009

SHARE # 7 - July 3 Delivery and July 6 Pickup




Good morning, farm members!

FARM NEWS

The growing season is rolling along in the garden. Last week Heather and I picked the first of the peas and we've started adding them to the shares. At the same time, we pulled the last of the spinach for now. There are lots of beautiful head lettuces getting bigger every day. It's a bit of a question for me. Which will happen first, the arrival of heat and potential bolting or the forming of full sized heads? Time will tell.

We currently have our eyes on:
many pea pods
small green raspberries
young squash plants
tomato flowers and tiny tomatoes
itty bitty carrots
dahlia buds
woodchucks! (I welcome your suggestions on these critters.)

So far the woodchuck damage has been small but they have a fondness for eating the flowers. The result is that many things that might be in bloom have been topped off and are now branching but not blooming. Bouquets are a bit questionable this week. On the other hand, the dahlias are just starting to bloom and once they get going we'll have lots of them. We just have to wait and see.

Each week I find that there are surprises in store in the garden. It's just impossible to tell what will be ready or not and what will be over, especially while looking ahead to the following Monday pick up day. I appreciate that you folks have been so flexible.

I am always interested in feedback about the shares. Farming is still so new to me. I know I will never stop learning things and there is so much I don't know. So let me know if there are ways the shares could improve and if there are things you especially appreciate.

Healthy eating,
Laura


SHARE # 7 - July 3 Delivery and July 6 Pickup

FULL AND HALF SHARES:
peas?
head lettuce
mesclun?
radishes
turnips?
chard or kale or collards, depending on what's ready that day
radish thinnings to add to your salads
wild peppermint - a very strong flavored mint, great for tea and chopped in tabouli
wild flower bouquet

MINI-SHARES - 2 of these
head lettuce
radishes?
peppermint (Let me know if this interests you or not.)
snap peas?
greens?

No comments: