Tuesday, June 7, 2011

FARM WEEK # 3 - June 9, 2011 - Still only FULL AND HALF SHARES



CABBAGE FORMING A HEAD


June 7, 2011

Hello farm members,

6/6/11
I am writing this in the parking lot of Green Fields Market, waiting for a tow truck to come get my car. I ran into a friend who is coming to give me a ride home. Life is full of unexpected challenges and pleasures. The car breaks down, and there is a friend right there to give me help. It rains and rains and then it's hot, hot, hot! There is always something good going on and there is always something good that can be done, no matter what the weather. My task each day is to find those good things that can be done.

6/7/11
FARM NEWS
Shares: Things are still a bit behind because of our cold, wet May so unfortunately, I need to delay the start of the Mini- Shares. Hang in there, people! Your mesclun, salad turnips, radishes and snow peas are growing but are still too small. They getting bigger every day. Really, thank you for your patience. I will make certain that the Minis go for 16 weeks, no matter when they start.

Share # 2: For information about last week's share check out the csa blog:

Pick Up: We had a few snags last week during pick up. I believe that Sarah and I left out the correct number of bags of various vegetables and yet by the last two people picking up, the numbers were off. I am working on a better system of identifying the items and what each share should include. Please be extra careful while choosing your items and let me know if you have ideas for improving the set up. This is a work in progress, definitely a change from previous years so there is plenty of room for improvement. (Still looking for more refrigerators...)

Woodchucks: Yesterday morning I saw an amazing thing, a woodchuck carrying her baby! Into the woodshed! This is a mixed experience for sure. I love nature, and seeing a mother creature moving her baby, how cool is that? But, no, no, no, no! I am not sharing! So plans are in place. The woodshed is now my pathway of choice for my numerous trips in and out of the house, a radio is blasting and the light is on. Wood pallets to be removed soon and I guess if I start stacking wood, that will help too. And as soon as all the seedlings are in, more brush clearing will be done. And I have covered some of the choicest items in the garden. Plotting and scheming on ways to make my little corner of the world less attractive to woodchucks.

Chickens: The young chicks are fully feathered and getting frisky. On sunny days when I know I will be home all day, they get to go out on the grass in their own special yard. They love it. And gobble up bugs and comfrey leaves and run around with worms in their mouths. One of my hens, a Dark Cornish, seems to be getting broody. Robin and I have been waiting for this so we can raise up some chicks from our own hens. I am hopeful that this is about to start as she keeps sitting heavily on the nest, will barely stand up, and pecks me when I check under her for eggs. Keep your fingers crossed. Eggs are being laid regularly and in good amounts, usually 18 per day. $4.00/dozen.

Some sad things: Arugula eaten fiercely by flea beetles, some woodchuck damage on the cauliflower plants. (now covered)



BUG BIT ARUGULA, STILL EDIBLE, BUT LESS PRETTY

Some hopeful things: Soybeans bursting out of the ground, thick lush pea vines forming buds, green tomatoes, the loan of a great tool from some friends (thanks, Paula and Karen!), a new trellis for hops and moonflowers (thanks, Rob!), 7 new fruit trees in the ground (thanks, Rob!), Sweet William showing color, big radishes!



LOVE THEM SOYBEANS




JAUNE FLAMME TOMATO


THIS WEEK'S SHARE:


Kale
Mesclun - featuring various thinnings and Johnny Jump Up flowers
Radishes (full sized)
Rhubarb (from Karen Loomis)
Parsley
Flowers - signs look good for peonies and Lady's Rocket and more.




Farm blog: I have doing better so far this year about regularly posting general news at the farm blog and news about the shares at the csa blog and some cooking ideas at the recipe blog. Also, there are pictures there and sometimes links to more pictures, related items on the web, etc. (recipes, herbal info, farms). I'll try to keep it up. I like to post a picture of the shares each week and some cooking ideas that relate to that share. I did a bit of re-vamping recently and now you can search the blogs using keywords. Sarah will be signing on as an author at the farm blog so perhaps we will get the chance to hear about her experience as a working farm member this summer. (Welcome, Sarah! So glad you are here.) If you have recipes or thoughts you want to share with the rest of the farm members, just send them to me or comment directly at the blogs. That would be great.

See you soon,
Laura


Laura Timmerman
910 Greenfield Rd
Leyden, MA 01337
413-773-8325
laurat-at-crocker.com

No comments: