Wednesday, October 15, 2008

LAST SHARE OF 2008 - Delivery #21 - October 17, 2008

Hello friends,

Well, this is it, the last delivery for 2008. You all have been wonderful. Thank you so much for being part of my little farm! I have really enjoyed sharing the harvest with you. Year 2 for the farm has been great for me. It's a ton of work but I love doing it so it doesn't feel like work at all. It has been terrific to have Karen as a working member, scheming and drudging and chattering along side of me. Thanks, Karen!

Next year I plan on selling 2 or 3 more shares plus a few mini-shares. And just as important to me, I will be doing my best to add in some crops that just never got planted this year due to lack of prepared ground and will be working on my replanting schedule so we can have larger and steadier supplies of our favorites.

Right now my focus is on preparing the garden for next year, expanding, planning, prepping some of the beds for early planting, planting garlic and tulips, and thinking and evaluating. Yesterday I bought 2 huge bags of gemination mix potting soil so I can be ready to start my seeds in January and February. Next weekend I hope to put up the hoop house so the extra hardy greens will be protected. Some of the chickens have a date with a butcher in a few weeks and the others need me to work on the chicken house some more. The farm never really shuts down but the chores change with the seasons. I'll be in touch with you in January to see if you are interested in being part of the farm in 2009.


COMING THIS WEEK
beets
chard
mesclun
NZ spinach (One member reported this as being very astringent when eaten raw this time of year. I haven't found any information about that yet. It might be that as it ages, it's better cooked.)
Any other greens I can gather.
Baldwin apple drops and Stayman Winesaps (the winesaps are good keepers and tasty eating apples; you might stick them in your refrigerator or any cold, moist spot)
floral decoration
surprise item

Have a great fall!
Laura

No comments: