Monday, June 11, 2012

FARM WEEK # 5 - June 14, 2012 - MINI SHARE # 2

June 11, 2012


Hello, farm members.

All is well on the farm and the first full pickup went fine.  You guys are great, and so thoughtful.  Thanks.

This week I will not be here for a large part of Thursday.  It's the monthly Council on Aging meeting so I will be hustling to get everything ready for you early (I'll send the usual email) and then will be out until mid afternoon, so good luck with pick up!  (By the way, you are welcome to come to the slide show about New Mexico.  It's at 10:30 at the Leyden church.  Paula Sayword and Karen Sims will be sharing stories, pictures and poems about the southwest.)

MINI SHARES

Mini choices week #2 - Pick two or I will choose for you.
mesclun
radishes
head lettuce
kale
1/2 dozen eggs
Farmer's Choice (I give you 2 items from the garden, from this list or not, based on general preferences you have shared with me and based on the harvest.  Farmer's Choice may include items not on this list.)

FARM NEWS

The planting continues!  I am creeping up on being done with the main planting.  I even started planting in the field recently.  The first cucumbers, summer and winter squash are in.  Beets and carrots need a replant. Progress.  I break up the planting with weeding.  The weeds are growing so fast this year.  I know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.  Stop by if you want some weeding therapy/visiting time.

The fava beans in the hoophouse are beautiful.  I want to give them a little more time to fill out but you might want to review your fava recipes for next week.  This link can get you started:

Another tasty item that will be ready soon is garlic scapes!  Yay!  I discovered garlic scape pesto last year and I recommend it to you pesto fans.  (Basil is growing nicely as well, enough to add to the mesclun.)

I am giving the chard a week off to recover from picking, snails? and hail?

Baby chicks should start hatching June 22.  The ducks are growing like weeds, and they like to eat weeds!


PICK UP NOTES
Pick Up is 1:00 - 7:00 unless you arrange otherwise.  I'll send an email when the shares are ready.  Leaving a cooler or insulated bag here is a good idea, if you have one to spare.  Make sure it is bigger than you might think.  Even for a mini share it would need to hold a large bunch of greens.

Bring a tote bag or box for your vegetables.  Some things will be packed in bags but as much as possible I am trying to leave that to you.  Please return clean, dry bags, esp. the big freezer bags.  Thanks!


THIS WEEK'S SHARE
radishes
mesclun
head lettuce
cauliflower (for the shares that didn't get some last week)
kohlrabi
kale
escarole - these are small heads, but yummy, and starting to bolt so let's eat them!
salad turnips, the next batch is starting up.
a little rhubarb from my new bed!
scallions
cilantro
dill
flowers: peonies, snapdragons, sweet william, lady's mantle, and more.


See you Thursday!
Laura


Sweet Morning Farm
910 Greenfield Rd
Leyden, MA 01337
413-773-8325
laurat-at-crocker.com

Lots more farm news and pictures at:





No comments: