Sunday, July 10, 2011

Your shares - July 7 and June 30, 2011




With all the happy celebrating going on around here last weekend, I never posted anything about what was in the shares. I hope you figured it out and also found some tasty ways to use your food! For cooking ideas, don't forget to check out the recipe blog. It is now set up so you can search it by key word, such as pea shoots, or turnips, or garlic scapes. I find this to be very helpful.

Pick up went very smoothly this week. The only hitch was that I had put some turnip greens in a bucket of water and I am not sure if everyone saw them or not. If you wanted some but didn't see them, let me know and I'll pick you some extra greens next time. (Eliza?)

Pea shoots are much more tender now that I am only picking off the growing tips, about 2 -3 inches long. Enjoy!

For myself, I once again found myself just putting out the shares at 1:30, having worked since 6:30. Now it's the weekend and there are still some picking buckets to wash, cold paks to put in the freezer and some drying cloths to wash and dry for the next picking. It just seems to be very important for me to pick everything on Wednesday so there is time and energy to clean up and put away my equipment on Thursday afternoon. I will concentrate on that this week.



First, a brief report of the shares on June 30:
Half Shares:
Garlic scapes, head lettuce, dill, kolrabi, radishes, turnips, mesclun and flowers.
Full Share: The same but more of them and also kale and peas.
Mini Shares:
Everyone got mesclun and flowers and either garlic scapes or pea shoots.

Pick Your Own started up with snap peas for all who wanted them.







This week's shares, July 7, 2011:
Mini Shares:
Everyone got flowers and their choice of two things from this list:
kale
mesclun
mixed greens (kale, collards, mustard greens)
garlic scapes
snap peas
turnips

Half Shares:
mesclun 6 oz.
small cabbages 1
parsley 1 bunch
cilantro 1 bunch
tiny carrots 1 bunch
green garlic 2
turnips 1 6 oz bunch
turnip greens big bunch
pea shoots 1 1/2 oz
radish thinnings 1 box
flowers

Full Share:
The full share got twice as much on the above, except for greeen garlic. Plus they got 1 # peas, 8.5 oz chard, and 10 oz snap peas.





There were lots of snap peas ready to pick and many people chose to pick some to add to their share. Neat! Wednesday Nick cut some more poles and Thursday Sarah and I supported the snow peas and mulched the PYO area. Yesterday I finished putting signs in the pick-your-own area, so now it is easy to see where to walk and where are the snap peas, snow peas, flowers and cherry tomatoes. Most of the cherry tomatoes have variety labels as well so you can start imagining Matt's Wild Cherries, Sun Golds, Lemon Drop, Black Pear, Black Cherries and more!

No comments: