Friday, May 29, 2009

TODAY'S FARM SHARE # 2 - May 29, 2009




The picking went fine; Heather and I were actually done by 11 so we were able to relax and plan and clean up the kitchen for awhile before delivery. I have to relish this when it happens as I suspect that once we add in the mini-shares it will take the whole morning to pick.

There was plenty in the garden. Once again we stopped picking before picking absolutely everything. This gives me confidence. The Mini Shares will definitely start on Friday, June 5 with the first delivery and the following Monday, June 8 will be the first pick up day for Mini Shares. I'll be in touch with more details.

I've had 4 pleasant surprises this week. 1 - My friend Linda stopped by because she just "felt like doing a gardening, did I want any help?" I put her straight to work digging! 2 - Farm Member Ann McCarthy gave me some beautiful, sturdy echinacea plants. 3 - My friend Paul sent me some very intriguing heirloom beans, peas and squash seeds. 4 - I came home yesterday and Robin had worked on the chicken set up so that I can now run the hens in a fresh area and can use their old run for planting. Thank you, pals!



THIS WEEK'S FULL SHARE

mesclun 3/4 #
rhubarb 1 3/4 #
radishes 9 oz.
baby greens - spinach, White Russian kale or turnip greens
garlic chives
small head of lettuce - 2 each - Crystal, Yugoslavian Red Butterhead, Susan's Bibb, Buttercrunch
arugula 11 oz.
bouquet - Lady's Rocket, iris, centaurea, salvia 'May Night', tree peonies
Cilantro or dill - a small bunch

Unfortunately, we had to pick the flowers while they were wet so they may not last as well as usual. Nice to get some rain though.

I'll write again on Monday with more information about pickup and next week's share.
Enjoy the fresh food. Be sure to check the recipe blog for cooking ideas.
Laura

No comments: