Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Delivery #14 - August 29, 2008

GARDEN NEWS

This is my September 'farm week' and the sun is shining so I get to play in the garden a bunch. Today I will be weeding from start to finish and making applesauce in the evening. My hope is to get the fall winter planting and seed/bulb order in hand. And get a start on prepping the ground for 2009. Already kale and spinach is coming up for the winter. This is my first experience planting with the idea of harvesting in January - May. It's a big experiment and I figure I'll just try a lot of things and see how it goes.

I went out to tour the garden and it's cold out there! AND buggy! I don't quite see how both of those could be true but they are. Lots to do though so I bette get crackin'!

If you are unfamiliar with edename, the thing to do is cook the beans in their shells. Then just squeeze the beans onto your plate or straight into your mouth. They are wicked hard to shell when raw but just pop open after cooking. I understand that in some Asian countries they are served in their shells so each person pops opens their own. Sounds sensible to me.


COMING THIS WEEK

soy beans (edename)
baby corn
mesclun - (I am so glad this is back.)
crabapples or apple drops for sauce
Swiss chard
turnip greens
carrots
beets
squash
cucumbers
beans
red onions
BOUQUET!

Now to weed the garden...
Laura

No comments: