Monday, August 11, 2008

Delivery #12 - August 15, 2008

Hello farm members,

I feel amazed that we are on to delivery #12. Some how it's been 3 months and the growing, picking and delivery feel like a routine part of my life. I guess when the winter comes I'll have to adjust to not turning the kitchen into a barn every Friday. I am studying and planting as much as I can these days, trying to start plants for the fall and winter greenhouse. I am hoping to have enough vegetables for my little family this winter and to learn about extending the season in both directions for future CSA shares. I like the idea of picking kale and other things throughout the winter and having really early greens for next year. I really like doing this!

COMING THIS WEEK

mesclun
carrots
kale
chard
cukes?
beans
squash
red onions
bouquet

This sure reads like an August list. Soon there will be tomatoes, crabapples and baby corn.
The mesclun continues to not include lettuce in the mixture but there are some tender leaves of arugula, chickweed, purslane and chard to balance the more intensely flavored endive, mustard and whatever else Karen and I can find for the mix. The new mesclun and leaf lettuce beds are up and growing. Also the radicchio, Chinese cabbage, daikon radishes, winter beets (Lutz Green Leaf) and rutabagas (Marian, Laurentian, Gilfeather). That's fun to see.

This Saturday, August 16, from 9-12, there will be a nature walk here in the woods at the farm. See the Leyden Life newsletter for details.

Enjoy the cooler nights, the sound of crickets, the occasional sunshine, and the bounty of late summer,
Laura

No comments: