Tuesday, July 24, 2012

FARM WEEK # 11 - July 26, 2012 - MINI SHARE # 8

Indigo Rose Tomatoes
July 24, 2012

Good morning, people,

Nice to get some rain yesterday.   We could use a whole lot more but moisture is encouraging.

*******NEWS FLASH:  I will be a bit later with the shares on Thursday.  Most likely they will be ready around 3:00.  Usually I am able to do the bulk of the picking on Wednesday but this week I will be doing most of the picking Thursday morning so, call 773-8325 or look for my email about the shares being ready.  I hope this isn't an inconvenience.  Let me know if it is impossible and I will see what we can work out.***********


FARM NEWS

Chickens:
Last weekend we consolidated the poultry so now there are only 4 places to keep supplied with food and water. That is making chores a lot simpler!  And it means that all the birds have more room and fresher grass.  The Freedom Rangers (our meat birds) our looking great.  The young (teens/pullets) chickens are now in the coop with the hens and working out who sleeps where and who gets to go in and out when and in what order, etc. The little chicks and their mama are mixed in with the whole flock as well.  Two results of all this shuffling: 1 - The mama has decided that the chicks are doing okay without her help and started roosting without them last night and clucking like a laying hen this morning.  2 - The laying flock is slightly disturbed and laying fewer eggs than usual.  I expect that once they all get used to the new set up egg laying will normalize.  At least I hope so.

Vegies:
All the garlic is harvested and curing.  The tomatoes have lots of big green tomatoes, getting set to ripen up. The winter squash, corn and beans are looking really nice.  The beans look like we will be eating them soon, perhaps a tiny bit this week, and some of the ears of Silver Queen corn have silks that are turning brown.  That means they will be ready soon!  Corn would be really fun, don't you think?  There are some vegetables that just have a tiny bit ready - summer squash, peppers, and tomatillos, for example, but not enough to list on the share list.  There may be samples or not, depending on how quickly they ripen and how much the farmers need to sample.  This is a hard time of year for me to be patient.  I want everything to be in season NOW!  Soon, soon, soon.


MINI SHARES

Mini choices week #8 - Pick two or I will choose for you.  It works well if people tell me their top 3-4 choices. Then I can figure their share based on the harvest.

basil
mixed herb bundle
chard
kale
scallions or onions
carrots
flowers
Farmer's Choice (I give you 2 items from the garden, from this list or not, based on general preferences you have shared with me and based on the harvest.  Farmer's Choice may include items not on this list.)

PICK UP NOTES
This week only, Pick Up is 3:00 - 7:00 unless you arrange otherwise.  I'll send an email when the shares are ready.

Thanks for returning egg cartons and clean, dry bags, esp. the big freezer bags.  Keep up the good work.

THIS WEEK'S SHARE

basil
sorrel
parsley
chard
kale
New Zealand spinach
scallions
onions
carrots
tomatoes
ground cherries/tomatillos?
eggplant?
flowers

Praying for more rain,
Laura

Laura Timmerman
910 Greenfield Rd
Leyden, MA 01337
413-773-8325
laurat-at-crocker.com

Lots more farm news and pictures at:



No comments: