Monday, August 22, 2011

FARM WEEK # 14 - August 25, 2011 - Minis - Week # 11



August 22, 2011
Hello on this beautiful late summer day!

FARM NEWS
The most exciting news around here is that the TILLER is repaired!! (Thank you, Doug. You are awesome.) Robin spent much of the weekend tilling and weed whacking some of the most weedy, neglected parts of the farm. It made a big difference. (Thank you, Robin! You are awesome, too.) I put my time into hand weeding and planting more fall crops, especially spinach. I also harvested the last of the onions and although they are a bit small this year, they still look good. At the moment my projects are to freeze tomatoes, make pickles and plant more fall items, daikon radishes, Chinese broccoli, kolrabi and pak choy. Hmmm, I seem to detect an Asian theme to these fall items...

Speaking of Asian food, the EDANAME (fresh soybeans) is almost ready. Robin and I tested some and it was so, so good! Still a bit small but, wow. We just pulled the pods off the plants, boiled them a few minutes and then squeezed open the pods so the inner bean could pop into our mouths. Yum.

My thoughts are already turning towards 2012, thinking about what to plant and where and how to prepare the soil this year for NEXT SPRING. One thing I really want to grow is sweet corn. I haven't grown it for quite a few years but I've done well with it in the past. And imagine how delicious our own corn on the cob would be! I also want to plant strawberries and maybe some more raspberries. Feel free to make suggestions about your favorite crops.

I guess I am feeling pretty hopeful and full of ideas today. I think it's a direct effect of all that cleared out brush and freshly rototilled ground. Many things look possible.


THIS WEEK'S SHARES:

FULL AND HALF SHARES -
Carrots or beets
Garlic
Leeks
Tomatoes
Kale
Cucumbers
Beans
Hot peppers
Sweet peppers
Squash
Fennel - this was supposed to bulb up but it bolted instead. Use like dill. Smells and tastes like licorice.
Soybeans? This is very close to being ready. Maybe this week...
Flowers


MINI SHARES - Choose two (plus flowers, as usual)
Tomatoes
Beans
Carrots
Hot peppers
Leeks
Garlic
Kale

Have a great day and maybe I hope to see you during pick up on Thursday, 12:00 - 6:00.

Your farmer,
Laura

Laura Timmerman
910 Greenfield Rd
Leyden, MA 01337
413-773-8325
laurat-at-crocker.com

2011 Farm Shares on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150198790794656.328961.837814655&l=c1ca374ea9

1 comment:

Carrie O'Connor said...

You rock! I'm making pickles, as well.

I just received a great recipe from a dear friend:

http://tinyurl.com/3wvfcyv

I look forward to hearing more about what you're doing.

Carrie