Monday, June 2, 2008

Delivery #2 - Friday, June 6, 2008

Hello folks,

Well the first delivery went smoothly and was a bunch of fun to do. It was amazing to me how different making up 5 orders was compared to 2 last year and also it was so helpful to have Karen helping me and contributing some flowers.

One thing I want to mention is that I try to deliver the vegetables in a relatively clean looking state but they are not ready for the table. You need to wash the vegetables yourself.

COMING THIS WEEK
Radishes
Mesclun
Mixed greens - a small taste of various greens, Red Russian Kale, Green Wave Mustard (not too spicy at this stage), Zen. These may or may not be ready.
Wild peppermint - great in tabouli or for drying for the winter.
Apple Mint - I like to put this and some sliced lemons into a large amount of water for a simple, non-sweet refreshing drink.
Rhubarb - maybe
Bouquets - Iris, Dianthus, Centaurea, Daisies, Deronicum?, Garden Peonies?, Chive flowers, Lady's Mantle leaves, Yarrow? Whatever looks good on the day.

GARDEN NEWS
Everything is growing very quickly of late. The other day I toured the garden in the morning and later the same day beans, greens, cukes and squash had all popped up where there had been bare ground in the morning. It made me think of Jack and the Beanstalk. The first head lettuces are forming heads and look lovely. Rob is making progress on the greenhouse set up and I started planting in that space already. Very satisfying. We have a resident woodchuck who loves to eat Bishops Weed, for which I am grateful, and also likes Hollyhocks, which is not so good.

Karen and I are creeping up on finishing the main planting. Still have winter squash, shell beans, potatoes, storage roots and pickling cukes to go. Plus I bought just a few more flowers recently...

Generally it is busy, hard work and fun. I am sleeping very soundly.
Laura

No comments: